CCBN, BEIJING – 20 March 2014 – New research from Irdeto that explores consumer viewing patterns and preferences on accessing video content unveiled that 86% of Chinese consumers still watch video content at home but only 15% of the respondents do so on traditional TV with a combined majority of 85% choosing computers, smartphones and tablets as their preferred screens. Also, with close to 60% of respondents saying that they watch videos on-the-go (while commuting, or outside of work or home), it reaffirms the unabated rise of multi-screen viewing among Chinese consumers today.
- Most Chinese (86%) still enjoy watching videos at home, but the majority (85%) clocked most viewing time on laptop or desktop computers (42%), smartphones (29%), and tablets (15%)
- More than half (55%) of Chinese respondents access most video content for free on Internet video sites such as Youku and Tudou
- 62% of Chinese respondents are ‘very likely’ or ‘likely’ to watch pirated videos
The survey found laptop and desktop computers to be the top screen of choice when it came to viewing video content (42%), and smartphone devices to be the second most preferred screen for viewing video content (29%) – underlining a significant behavioral shift whereby viewers are now typically choosing non-traditional platforms over traditional television.
Released today at CCBN 2014, the survey was conducted among 1,000 nationally representative Chinese adults aged 18 and above in early March. It tackled important questions on both video viewing preferences as well as factors influencing consumers’ decision to watch pirated video content.
The results showed that consumers in China are concerned about security risks (32%) and poor video quality (25%) despite an openness to online piracy, where more than 60% of respondents said that they were ‘extremely likely’ (21%) or ‘likely’ (41%) to pirate video content. A combined 58% cited high pricing of paid content (28%) and refusal to wait for official release of video (30%) as the top two compelling reasons for watching pirated videos.
- The majority of consumers (86%) still watch video content at home, whether it is on their television or through streaming on a mobile device, while the second most preferred location was during their commute (37%)
- The preferred screen of choice for watching video content was on the laptop/desktop computers (42%), as compared to the traditional TV (15%). Smartphone devices were the second most preferred screen for viewing video content (29%)
- 30% of consumers cited the wait for video content to be officially released as the most compelling reason for them to watch pirated video content, while 28% of consumers would do so if the video content is too expensive
- When asked what would prevent them from viewing pirated content, most consumers cited issues surrounding security risks (e.g. viruses, spam) (32%), followed by poor video quality (25%)
“This survey reflects Irdeto’s commitment to offering knowledge and insight into video consumption trends in China, so that local content providers can design and package products and services that deliver a richer, more fulfilling user experience in line with evolving viewer behavioral patterns and preferences,” said Bengt Jonsson, Vice President, APAC, Irdeto. “The survey findings indeed reaffirm the importance of multi-screen and nationwide demand for high-quality and secure video content despite ongoing online piracy, so it is without a doubt that these should be the top priorities for Chinese pay TV operators and over-the-top service providers today as they battle to capture eyeballs in this highly competitive market.”
The full survey results can be found here on the Irdeto website.
As a leader in multiscreen, revenue assurance and media protection solutions for pay TV operators, OTT service providers and content owners, Irdeto is committed to delivering best in breed solutions to their customers. Through this survey, Irdeto is able to leverage the consumer insight for a well-informed, customized solution that would benefit operators as much as consumers in China.
Irdeto. Building a Secure Future.™
Irdeto is the world leader in digital platform security, protecting platforms and applications for media & entertainment, gaming, connected transport and IoT connected industries. Our solutions and services enable customers to protect their revenue, create new offerings and fight cybercrime. With nearly 50 years of expertise in security, Irdeto’s software security technology and cyber services protect over 5 billion devices and applications for some of the world’s best-known brands. Our unique heritage as a subsidiary of multinational media group Naspers (JSE: NPN) means that we are a well-established and reliable partner to help build a more secure future. Please visit Irdeto at www.irdeto.com.
For further information about Irdeto please contact:
Global Manager, Public Relations, Irdeto
Mobile: +1 774 273 3890